- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sausages: Use whatever sausage you prefer. The flavor of the sausage is really what spices the soup. Chorizo is a good choice. I also really like the hot Italian chicken sausage from Whole Foods.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 can cannellini or white beans
- 6 cups stock
- 1 or 2 9-ounce bags fresh baby spinach (depending on how much you like spinach)
- Several sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms to pot and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook until beginning to soften, stirring often, about 12 minutes.
- Add stock; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Using potato masher, mash some of potatoes and carrots in pot.
- Add browned sausage to soup.
- Stir in spinach and simmer just until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and serve.