- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup dark rum, plus more if needed
- 3 cups flour, plus more for the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon reserved rum from cake recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted Bundt pan.
- In a nonreactive bowl, soak raisins in the rum for at least 30 minutes. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices.
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut them into chunks, bring to a boil and cook until tender when pierced with a knife. Drain and let dry for a few minutes, then mash coarsely. Measure 2 cups of sweet potatoes and reserve.
- Beat the eggs to break them up, then add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the oil and vanilla. Drain the raisins, reserving the liquid. Add 1/3 cup of the rum to the batter. Add the sweet potatoes and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk (start and finish with the flour). Fold in raisins. Pour the batter into the Bundt pan and bake for 80 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack.
- While cake is cooling: Mix the sugar, butter and cream in a heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Continue to boil until the mixture thickens somewhat, 3 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and add about 1 tablespoon of reserved rum (add fresh rum, if needed).
- Set the cake and cooling rack over a baking sheet. With a toothpick, punch holes all over the cake. Pour 1/3 of the glaze over the cake. Wait 15 minutes, then pour the remaining glaze on top. You must glaze the cake while it’s hot. Allow cake to cool completely.