- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups medium-diced carrots (3 to 4 carrots)
- 1 cup medium-diced red potatoes, unpeeled (3 small)
- 1 pound dried split green peas
- 8 cups stock
* for a more meaty/smoky flavor, make your own stock with a ham bone or rib bones
* add some chunks of ham in if desired
- In a 4-quart stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, 1/2 pound of split peas, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Skim off the foam while cooking.
- Add the remaining peas and simmer for another 40 minutes, or until all the peas are soft.
- Stir frequently to keep the solids from burning on the bottom. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.