- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 Thai bird or serrano chiles, stemmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large daikon, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 English seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Put vinegar, sugar and salt into a large bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Add carrots, chiles, ginger, daikon, cucumbers and onions and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to several hours before serving (it’s far better a day or two later).