- 6 cups duck stock
- 6-8 oz roasted duck meat, shredded or chopped into bite-sized bits
- 1 large shallot, sliced into rings
- 8 oz shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/4 small cabbage, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom 2/3 of tender inner bulb only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 large chunk of fresh ginger, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 oz thin rice noodles like vermicilli
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced into rings
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, sliced
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 poached egg for each bowl being served at the time
- Heat oil in a large stainless steel pot and saute shallots for a few minutes until golden brown. Add the shitake mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook for a few more minutes. Add the duck bits and cook for just a few more minutes. Transfer shallots, mushrooms, and duck mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot add the carrots and cabbage and saute for a few minutes. Add some of the stock to deglaze the pan and scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan into the stock. Add the rest of the stock to the pot along with the ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce, sugar, and red pepper flakes. Take a few of the cooked shallot pieces from the bowl and them to the stock in the pot too. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil the rice noodles for about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Set aside.
When ready to serve, poach the egg(s). I’d love to to do Momofuku slow poached eggs, but those generally take 40-45 minutes, so I often end up just doing a regular poached egg because it’s quick and easy.
- In a medium saucepan boil a few inches of water with a pinch of salt and a splash of vinegar.
- Swirl the water in a circle and crack the egg(s) right into the water. Keep the water swirling in a circle. The egg should be cooked to perfection in 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from water with a slotted spoon and it’s ready to serve.
For each bowl of soup being served…
- Ladle some of the stock/soup into the bowl.
- Add a handful of the rice noodles to the broth.
- Top with a spoonful of duck/mushroom/shallot mixture, a handful of sprouts, scallions, cilantro, and jalapeno slices.
- Add a poached egg.
- Squeeze Sriracha liberally over the top.