- 2 very large onions (or 3-4 normal large onions), cut into 3/4 inch rings and separated
- 3 cups oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- hot sauce (Cholula or Sriracha)
- cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, a few drops hot sauce and eggs.
- Stir in the beer and toss the onion rings in the mixture. Allow to soak 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pot with high sides, heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Drain the onion rings and toss with the flour.
- Carefully drop about 4 onion rings into the hot oil, cook until golden brown, flipping once. Remove to paper towel lined plates and repeat for remaining onions.
Alternately, fill a few pots with oil and cook several batches at once. Salt and serve hot.