- 1 pound spinach, trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound peeled, cooked shrimp
- 8 fine white fish fillets, skinned
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- lemon wedges to garnish
- Wash the spinach, then put the wet leaves in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pan often, for about 5 minutes, or until leaves have shrunk. Drain well, then place the spinach in a soaked clay pot. Melt the butter in the saucepan. Add the garlic and ginger root, cook for 3 minutes, stirring, then add the cumin, cardamom, coriander and turmeric and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Spread the shrimp out over the spinach. Arrange the fish fillets over the top, then spoon the spice mixture over. Cover the pot and place in the cold oven. Set the oven at 425. Cook for 40 minutes or until fish is just firm. Top with the tomatoes and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro, then serve garnished with lemon wedges.
Note: If you do not have a clay pot, a simple baking sheet (one with edges is preferable) will do, but I would suggest placing the fish inside aluminum foil before baking. You can also just cook the fish fillets with the spice mixture if you do not want to include the spinach and shrimp.