Makes ~ 3 servings
- 1/2 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 andouille sausages
- 2 slices of thick bacon
- 1/2 cup grits/polenta
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/3 red pepper, diced
- 1/3 green pepper, diced
- 1/3 yellow or orange pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle lemon juice over shrimp and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- In a small saucepan combine grits, 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, about 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the milk and cream, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when cooked.
- In a large skillet cook the andouille on medium heat. Once they begin to brown on the outside slice them into discs and finish cooking. Set aside sausage in a bowl.
- In the same skillet cook the bacon slices. Once cooked set bacon aside and slice into small pieces.
- Add onions, shallot, and peppers to skillet and saute in bacon/sausage fat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and keep cooking for another 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan heat up butter and add flour as the butter begins to melt. Whisk together and cook on a very low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 7-10 minutes (until it turns brownish).
- Add shrimp, bacon, flour/butter mixture, andouille, and 1/2 cup chicken stock to the onions and peppers in the skillet and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Put the grits back on low heat to warm up and stir cheddar into the grits.
- Serve shrimp mixture atop grits, sprinkle with scallions and enjoy!
Inspired by this recipe.