- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 sausages (in this case I used sweet Italian, but hot Italian, chorizo, sage breakfast, or really any kind of sausage works well, too)
- a few slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- a pinch of grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, sage, thyme, etc to taste
- a bunch of kale, washed and chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Slice the butternut in half the long way and scoop out the seeds (wash and keep for baking later with salt if you like that sort of snack).
- Rub the inside of each butternut half with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, sage, thyme, and whatever other seasoning you might like. Turn the halves meat-side down on a baking dish/sheet and roast for about 15 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, heat a skillet on medium. Remove the sausage from its casing and brown the crumbles for about 10 minutes. Set aside in a bowl. Keep the skillet on the heat, add a little olive oil and the shallots to brown.
- Remove the butternut from the oven and pack the sausage crumbles into the bowl of each squash half. Lay the mozzarella slices across the top of the squash and sausage and return to the oven for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the kale to the shallots in the skillet, tossing and cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and grate a little parmesan over the top to serve alongside the kale.