- 1 very large zucchini or a few smaller ones, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 bag fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 6-8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup herb bread crumbs (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt, pepper, oregano, basil to taste
- a few slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- a few slices of fresh tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Trim ends of zucchini halves and scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving about 1/2 inch pulp on skins. In a large saucepan, steam zucchini halves in a vegetable steamer over boiling water for about 5 minutes, until tender but firm. Drain, and immediately plunge into a large bowl filled with enough ice water to cover. Allow to cool completely; drain.
- Heat olive oil or butter in medium saucepan. Slowly cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is soft. Stir in spinach, and cook about 1 minute, until wilted.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a medium bowl, and mix in ricotta cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stuff zucchini halves with even amounts of the mixture and arrange them in a large baking dish.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the stuffing is hot and bubbly. Half way through baking, put slices of fresh mozzarella and tomatoes on top of each zucchini piece and finish baking.
Note: This is also good with tomato sauce and/or roasted red peppers and fresh
basil on top (added half way through baking in addition to or instead of the mozzarella and tomatoes).