- 1 1/8 cups sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel (from two large lemons)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 (1/2-pint) containers (about) fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 14 standard muffin cups (or 56 minis) with paper liners.
- Mash 1/8 cup sugar and lemon peel in small bowl until sugar is slightly moist.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat remaining 1 cup sugar and butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk, then vanilla and lemon sugar. Beat in flour mixture.
- Divide batter among muffin cups (the 2/3-3/4 level worked well for minis). Top each large muffin with 4 raspberries (or mini muffins with one each).
- Bake muffins until lightly browned on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes (baking time was on the shy side of 20 minutes for mini muffins).