- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 5 cups Challah bread ripped into chunks
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in bottom of 8-inch square baking dish. Once it is melted, take it out of the oven and toss bread cubes with butter, coating thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour them over buttered bread cubes in baking dish, stirring to make sure all pieces are evenly coated. Bake until custard is set, 25 to 30 minutes.