- 2/3 cup tawny or ruby port wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (10-ounce) bags frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 vanilla bean, halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons water
- Combine port, 1/2 cup sugar, cherries, and vanilla bean halves (or vanilla extract) in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until cherries are thawed and mixture is syrupy.
- Remove vanilla bean halves; discard.
- Combine lemon juice, cornstarch, and 4 teaspoons water, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into cherry mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and shiny. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Cover and chill. Serve over cheesecake or other desired dessert.