- 1 5-6 pound piece of pork belly, skin on
- 1 2-3 pound boneless, center-cut pork loin
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small orange, thinly sliced
- Put belly skin side down; arrange loin in center. Roll belly around loin so the short ends of the belly meet. If any of the belly or loin overhangs, trim meat. Unroll; set loin aside.
- Mix the spices all together in a bowl.
- Set belly skin side down. Using a knife, score the belly flesh in a checkerboard pattern 1/3″ deep.
- Flip belly skin side up. Using a paring knife, poke dozens of 1/8″-deep holes through skin all over belly.
- Using the jagged edge of a meat mallet, pound skin all over for 3 minutes to tenderize
- Rub the spice mixture all over the belly (both sides) and the loin. Lay the belly skin side down.
- Arrange the slices of garlic and orange along the flesh of the belly and lay the loin on top.
- Wrap the belly around the loin and tie with twine.
- Refrigerate for a day or 2 uncovered if you prep ahead of time.
- Let the porchetta sit at room temp for a couple hours. Preheat oven to 500. Roast for 40 minutes, turning once.
- Reduce heat to 300 and continue roasting until the meat center is at 145 (about 1.5-2 hours).
- Let the roast rest for a half hour then slice into 1/2 inch rounds
Original recipe from bon appetit.