- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add rice and cook until translucent, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of stock and bay leaves and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until liquid is absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup (risotto takes about 20 minutes to cook from the time the first liquid is added).
- Remove bay leaves, fold in peas and cook until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; fold in parsley, Parmesan cheese and butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon risotto into shallow bowls; serve hot.