- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- a pinch of cayenne
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound elbow pasta, uncooked.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use 1 tablespoon butter to butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
- In a blender, puree cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.
- Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen.