This is a great recipe for a main course. It can be made as-is for a vegetarian dish or you could add some grilled chicken or shrimp. For this round I chose to serve it with lima beans for protein. They have such fantastic flavor and texture (and Neil and I both love them). The lentils are a wonderful pairing with the fresh lemon juice, and the artichoke hearts add an element of buttery sweetness. This is a perfect fit for a healthy meal with tons of flavor.
1 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3/4 cup dried red lentils
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 pound whole wheat linguine
1/4 pound fresh green beans, cut to one-inch lengths
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
4 artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
Handful of frozen peas
- In a medium pot add broth, 1 cup water, onion, lentils, garlic, mushrooms and green beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until lentils are very tender and falling apart, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and stir until lentils break apart to make a sauce. Add peas.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add linguine and cook until al dente, drain and return to pot.
- Immediately add artichoke hearts and lentil sauce to hot pasta, toss well and serve.