- 2 small whole bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-4 teaspoons white pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 pound andouille sausage
- 1 pound chicken thighs and/or breasts
- 1 pound ham
- 1 pound peeled, cooked shrimp
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
Cookware: Well-seasoned cast iron, cast aluminum, or heavy stainless steel works
well with this recipe. A Dutch oven also works well.
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter
- over medium high heat. Add the chicken, sausage, ham and shrimp. Brown the meat (about 3 minutes) while stirring frequently.
- Add the seasoning mix and about 1/2 of the onions, celery and bell peppers. Saute until tender (about 5 minutes). Scrape the bottom of the pot well.
- Stir in the Tabasco and tomato sauce; stir fairly constantly while cooking for about 1 minute. Then add the remainder of the onions, celery and bell peppers, and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rice and chicken broth. Mix all ingredients well. Bring to a boil stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is tender (about 20 minutes, up to 45 depending on the type of rice used).
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
Recipe thanks to Danielle.