- Several cups of fresh baby spinach
- Several cups of fresh arugula
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pound good quality bacon (I prefer uncured from a local farm or black forest bacon), cooked (pan fried or oven, whichever you prefer), and sliced into small chunks
- 3 large shallots
- a handful of pecans
- a handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 lemon or a few tablespoons of fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Put olive oil in a small saucepan and put on medium-high. Add 3/4 of the shallot slices and fry for a few minutes until golden brown. Remove shallots from oil with a slotted spoon and set aside to top salad with.
- Reduce heat to low, add garlic slices to oil and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove and discard garlic slices. Put shallot/garlic flavored oil into a small bowl.
- Squeeze fresh lemon or grapefruit juice into bowl with oil. Add champagne vinegar, salt, pepper, and remaining fresh shallot slices.
- Wash greens with hot water (helps to wilt them a bit) and add to bowl. Toss with vinaigrette.
- Top with bacon, tomatoes, grapefruit, nuts, avocado, tomatoes, gorgonzola, and fried shallots. Serve at room temp.