- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium sized, semi-tart apples, pared, quartered, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (if you prefer sweeter, use 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger instead)
- 1 medium-sized red cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved, cored and cut into large pieces
- 1/4 cup balsalmic vinegar or red wine vinegar (actually, I often do a blend of balsamic, red wine, and apple cider vinegars)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick, split lengthwise
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion; saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute 1 or 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add apple and ginger; cook 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, remaining tablespoon oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and cinnamon stick.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender but not mushy.
- Discard cinnamon stick and serve.