- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 recipe spiced glaze; see below (optional)
- Grease bundt pan or loaf pans and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- Add pumpkin, milk, eggs and shortening. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes and slowly add the remaining cup of flour until well-mixed. Stir in the dates, and walnuts if you choose to add them.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pans. Bake in 350 oven for 35-40 minutes
In a small mixing bowl stir together 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1/8 teaspoon
ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Stir in enough water (2 to 3 teaspoons) to
make drizzling consistency.