- 1 1/2 large tomatoes, seeded, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 loaf French bread cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, basil, capers and garlic; mix well. Add oil; mix gently. Cover; refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat broiler. Place bread slices on baking sheet; broil 1 to 2 minutes or until light brown. Turn over. Spread each slice with 2 teaspoons tomato mixture; top with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cheese. Broil an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.