- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 5 large egg yolks
- Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Add mint leaves and stir until coated in liquid. Cover, remove from heat, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Strain the mint-infused mixture through a mesh strainer into a medium saucepan. Press on the mint leaves to extract as much of the flavor as possible, then discard the mint leaves.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup heavy cream into a large bowl, and set the strainer on top.
- Re-warm the mint-infused mixture.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the warm mint liquid into the egg yolks, whisking constantly; then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Whisk the mixture constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.