- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1lb eggplant, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/4 cups stock
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb of tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup julienned basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add eggplant and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned all over. Add garlic, season with salt, cook for another minute, then remove from heat.
- In medium saucepan bring stock to a simmer.
- In large saucepan, heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and cook until soft. Add all but 1/4 cup of the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes. Add rice and cook/stir until thoroughly coated, about 2 minutes.
- Add a cup of the hot stock and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Continue adding hot stock 1 cup at a time and stirring until absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and suspended in a creamy liquid, about 25 minutes total.
- Remove risotto from heat. Stir in butter, then stir in Parmesan, then the eggplant, basil, and remaining tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.