- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried sour cherries
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar about 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add egg and mix well. Stir in vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in three portions, mixing each just until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips and cherries. Refrigerate dough for a few hours until firm.
- Place the dough on a clean work surface and divide in half. Roll out into logs about 12 inches long. Refrigerate for about an hour. Dough can be frozen for a month if wrapped well in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets. Cut dough into 1-inch slices. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cookies look just baked. Do not over bake.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.