- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, half grated and half sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- crystallized ginger (optional, for garnish)
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temp
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cardamom pods
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine butter, flour, and confectioner’s sugar, cardamom, and lemon zest in a bowl. Press into the bottom of a 9″ tart pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Remove from oven and cool before filling.
- In a small sauce pan, bring cream and grated ginger to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes to allow the ginger to steep a bit.
- Chop chocolate into small chunks and put into a medium, heat-safe bowl.
- Add butter, sugar, and salt to the cream and bring to a boil again, then strain the cream into the bowl over the chocolate pieces. Let sit for a minute then stir until blended. Let sit for a few minutes, then add the milk and vanilla and stir until shiny.
- Pour filling into cooled crust and let set at room temp for a couple hours.
- Sprinkle top of tart with crystallized ginger bits and serve with cardamom creme fraiche.
- Put cream, sour cream, cardamom pods, and vanilla in a jar or container with a tight lid.
- Cover securely and shake 15 seconds. Set aside at room temperature for about an hour or two, shaking every once in a while until very thick. Cream will thicken faster if the room is warm.
- Stir thickened creme fraiche and remove/discard cardamom pods before serving.