- 1 pound okra, washed, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon mild curry powder, or to taste
- a pinch of cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup stock
- 1 cup plain greek style yogurt
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy non-stick or well seasoned iron skillet. Toast the cumin seeds, about 3 minutes. Add okra and fry for 10 minutes, turning frequently to keep from sticking.
- When the okra is lightly browned, add onion and seasonings. Continue cooking for 3 minutes longer, or until onions are tender.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drop in the chicken stock to deglaze the pan and get up all of the tasty spices from the bottom. Turn the heat off. Then add yogurt.
- Serve atop basmati rice or cauliflower rice cooked with cumin seeds and cardamon pods.