A little bit ago we tried out that recipe for Curried Cauliflower Soup and loved it so I figured that since cauliflower and broccoli are so similar that the same recipe could be altered just a bit to make Creamy Broccoli Soup. It worked! This soup is big on flavor. Pure broccoli flavor.
3 1/2 cups milk, divided (soy or unsweetened almond milk can be substituted or you could use chicken broth for a different flavor profile- more savory than sweet)
1 cup chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
5 cups (about 1 pound) broccoli florets (or 1 head)
- Heat 1/2 cup of milk in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli and remaining milk, cover and simmer until broccoli is very tender, about 40 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if you like.
- Working in batches, carefully puree in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer to bowls, and serve.
We had this as a side to Loaded Baked Potatoes and it was perfect. When I say loaded, I mean: butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, steamed broccoli, and bacon chunks. LOADED!