- 3 scallions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup couscous, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (19 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Finely dice white end of onions. Slice green parts of onions and reserve for salad. Gently cook white onion pieces in olive oil 5-7 minutes in a medium saucepan. Stir in stock, cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and red pepper. Bring to a boil; add couscous. Cover and remove pan from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Whisk together vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Fluff couscous with a fork; put in a large bowl. Toss in sliced green onions, chickpeas, carrots, dates, pine nuts, remaining salt and pepper; add vinaigrette and toss again. Serve right away or chill. Garnish with cilantro.