4 – 14 oz bags unsweetened coconut flakes (or 3.5 lbs bulk)
2 – 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
4 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
8oz good dark chocolate for dipping
- Pour 3/4 of coconut flakes into a mixing bowl (easiest w/ a kitchen aid). You can also do the mixing by hand with a strong spoon in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the condensed milk, sour cream, cream and vanilla on top of the coconut flakes.
- Turn the mixer to a slow speed. With the mixer running, slowly add the remaining coconut. If you start out with all coconut in the bowl, the paddle may throw some of the mix over the edge of the bowl.
- Mix for about 10-15 seconds until combined. Turn off the mixer. Scrape the paddle with a spatula and give the the batter a few turns to make sure all ingredients are well distributed.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and cover your sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Scoop out the macaroons and press slightly together so they hold their shape when you drop them onto the sheet pan.
- Place the sheet into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. The bottoms of the macaroons should be lightly caramelized (medium-dark brown).
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler.
- Dip the cooled macaroons halfway into the chocolate and set them back onto a sheet pan covered with parchment. Place the dipped macaroons in the refrigerator or freezer so the chocolate cools faster and preserves a shine. If you cool the macaroons under room temperature the chocolate might get dull.