- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 chopped nuts and/or 1/4 cup dried cherries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Place the butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl, and microwave briefly, until just melted.
- Add the sugars and sift in the cocoa. Stir to blend well. The mixture will be somewhat thick and pasty, like wet sand. Add the yogurt and vanilla and stir to mix thoroughly. Add the dry flour mixture and stir to just combine. Add the chocolate chips (nuts and cherries too if you’re using them) and stir to incorporate.
- Drop the dough by generous tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet. You should be able to fit about 8 or 9 cookies, nicely spaced, on a standard sheet pan. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies have crackled slightly and look set.
- Transfer the sheet pan to a wire rack and cool the cookies on the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer them to the rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.