- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup lightly salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top. (It does disappear once baked, though, so don’t overly fret if they go into the oven looking white.)
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for ¼-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.