- 1 large sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into chunks
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced, and a few fronds for sprinkling into the salad
- 1 grapefruit, 1 large slice for juicing and the rest peeled and cut into chunks
- olive or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- a small dollop of mustard
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 1/2-1 avocado, diced
- feta (optional)*
- salt and pepper
- several handfuls of fresh spinach and/or arugula
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Toss sweet potato chunks in oil, salt and pepper on a sheet pan and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add shallots, chicken chunks, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown.
- Add fennel to the chicken in the skillet and cook for a few minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon oil, sherry vinegar, mustard, grapefruit juice, fennel fronds, salt, pepper, red onions, and pepitas.
- Add greens to the bowl and toss to coat with vinaigrette.
- Place the warm chicken mixture atop the greens and stir to combine, wilting the greens a bit.
- Plate the salad, top with grapefruit chunks, avocado, and feta and serve with sweet potatoes on the side
*Recipe is Whole30 compliant if you omit the feta cheese.