- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced thinly, lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh jalapeno
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound cavatappi (corkscrew elbow pasta)
- 1 (16oz) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- fresh Parmesan cheese
- Start pasta cooking in salted water until al dente.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over a medium heat and saute onions until golden (about 10 minutes). Add garlic and saute for another minute. Transfer onions to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and saute bell peppers and jalapeno with salt and pepper until tender (about 8 minutes). Add onions and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil, deglazing the pan, then remove from heat.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of water from the pasta, then drain and return to pot. Add peppers and onions, reserved pasta water, beans and some cheese (and fresh parsley if you like) and toss well.
- Top with a small amount of Parmesan cheese and serve.