- 1 cup large shallots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 small potato
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook shallots, bay leaf, ginger, curry powder, and thyme in butter in a saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened and pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add potato to shallot mixture along with carrots, broth, cider, water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Puree soup with immersion blender. Serve sprinkled with toasted almonds.
Original recipe from epicurious.