- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3/4 cup of carrots, diced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- salt, black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg and allspice to taste
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- Heat oil and melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook until tender.
- Put carrots, squash and stock into the pot and season to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- With a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return pureed squash to saucepan and stir in the cream. Add more seasoning to taste. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream and a dash of nutmeg.