- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups of coconut milk and/or heavy cream
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- a couple fresh sage leaves, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- a block of fresh gruyere cheese
- Put sweet potatoes in large saucepan, fill with water and bring to a boil. Let cook until soft.
- Drain sweet potatoes, add back to pan with butter and cream. Puree with an immersion blender.
- Add thyme, sage, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Boil the squash slices for 4 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and coconut flour over the squash slices and set aside.
- Saute shallots and garlic in a skillet with butter.
- Layer half the squash slices in a 9×13 baking pan, then sprinkle half the shallots and garlic, then grate a bunch of gruyere. Repeat for second layer.
- Pour sauce over top, grate a thick layer of cheese on top, then bake for about 40 minutes.
Recipe adapted from this post on every day paleo.