- 3/4 cup Chinese black rice (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Rinse rice in cold water to rid of excess starches.
- Bring rice, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a saucepan, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until most of the water is absorbed (about 30 minutes). Let the rice stand, uncovered and off of the heat, for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over a moderately high heat and saute scallions, sweet potato and ginger for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat and salt and pepper to taste, then cook until sweet potato is just tender (about 12 minutes).
- Add the rice and toss gently to combine.