- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs stew beef, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons grainy horseradish mustard
- a dash of worcestershire sauce
- 1 bayleaf
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 oz cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- egg noodles
- In a dutch oven, heat oil and 2 tablespoons butter. Brown the meat in batches and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent.
- Add the beef back to the pan along with stock, soy sauce, mustard worcestershire sauce, and bayleaf. Bring to a simmer, scrape any fond from the bottom of the pan, cover and simmer for 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Add the thyme and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and cream cheese to the pan and stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the egg noodles and toss with remaining butter.
- Serve stroganoff over egg noodles and garnish with parsley.
Original recipe from The Food Network.