- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 28oz can of San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, some salt and pepper, and cook for a half hour or so.
- Use an immersion blender to bring the soup to desired consistency.
- Add basil, heavy cream, and more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with sourdough croutons, if desired, and serve.