- 4-6 lbs country style pork ribs (or beef short ribs)
- Chinese Five Spice
- 2 star anise
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 inch chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 Thai chili peppers
- 1 daikon radish, peeled and julienned
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 4-6 leaves of kale, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons sesame or peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- peanuts for garnish
- Rub the ribs with salt, pepper, and five spice powder. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 8-10 minutes, flip, broil on other side 8-10 minutes.
- Stir together all braising ingredients in a crock pot. Add the ribs and cook for about 6 hours on low.
- In a bowl combine the slaw ingredients and toss.
- Serve ribs with slaw on top and garnish with peanuts. Even better, make some mashed potatoes or cauliflower to serve the ribs on top of to soak up some of the braising liquid.
Original recipe inspiration from Williams Sonoma.