- 8 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more as needed
- cheesecloth or muslin cloth
- Line a colander with 2 layers of cheesecloth and set it in the sink.
- Bring the milk to boil in a large pan, stirring to avoid scalding.
- Turn the heat to low and add the lemon juice, stirring often. You should see the curds and whey start to separate. If not, add a tablespoon or two more lemon juice and turn the heat a little higher, stirring often, until you see separation. Stir to gather the curds and not break them.
- Remove from heat and pour the milk mixture into the cheesecloth colander and rinse with cool water.
- Combine the cheesecloth ends to squeeze the excess whey out of the cheese. Twist and tie up to allow the cheese ball to drain for about 5 minutes.
- Place the ball of cheese in the cloth on a plate and place another plate or flat board on top to press the cheese down. Weigh down with something heavy and set in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.