- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup diastatic malt powder
- 1/2 cup (heaping) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (heaping) sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise to reveal seeds
- a pinch of salt
- Mix diastatic malt powder into the milk and combine thoroughly
- Mix milk, 1 cup of the cream, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla bean, and salt into a small saucepan and heat until warm but not boiling.
- Whisk eggs yolks in a bowl. Slowly pour some of the hot chocolate mixture into the yolks to temper the eggs, whisking the entire time.
- Transfer the yolk mixture into the saucepan and combine with the rest of the hot chocolate mixture. Cook on medium heat, stirring the entire time, until mixture is thick (about 10 minutes).
- Pour mixture into a bowl and set the bowl into a slightly larger bowl filled with ice and water.
- Add the remaining half cup of cream. Stir mixture until it’s starts to cool. Remove vanilla bean.
- Cover and chill the mixture in the fridge until completely cold (about an hour, or can stay in the fridge for up to a few days).
- Pour mixture into cold ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, usually about 25 minutes.
- Pour into an airtight container and freeze until firm.